Sunday, April 4, 2010

Peck away!

So, this is attempt #2 at starting up a blog. (Sigh.) I've been going back and forth about why I should even make a go at keeping up with a blog, and as over-dramatic as it sounds, it's really been tearing me apart! Here's an example of the inner dialogue/ argument that I've had with myself nearly everyday for months now:

"You used to love to write, and you still do. It's a perfect outlet for you! Do it!"
"So what are going to blog about?"

"I don't know. Just stuff."
"Who do you think is going to read about 'just stuff?'"
"I don't know who will read it. I just want to start writing and sharing again. There's a lot rolling around in my noggin all the time, and I need a place that I can release it in a somewhat public forum."
"Like what?"
"Just stuff."
"Stuff that others care about?"

"Maybe. Even if no one really reads it, at least I'm putting something out there."
"So if no one reads your blog, what's the point?"

"The point is that I'm doing something instead of nothing."

"So why not just keep a journal?"

"It's not quite the same."
"If no one ever reads your blog, how is it not quite the same?"

"It's just not. Geez! We're being quite the downer, aren't we?"

"Just trying to think through everything. Don't want you to be disappointed when no one cares about what you have to say on your 'just stuff' blog."

"Ouch! Encourage much?!"


I wonder if this is a familiar inner dialogue to anyone but myself? After having this conversation with myself about a zillion times, I've decided that I'm just going to do it. Hopefully, in time there will be more of a focal point to this blog. In the meantime, I'm going to be obedient to the direction in which I believe God is leading me, throw insecurity to the wayside, be as transparent as possible, and peck away. Here we go!

5 comments:

  1. Debbie, don't listen to those voices. They'll turn the fun experience of blogging into a dull chore or big disappointment. Have fun with it. There's something about writing to a public audience that is very rewarding, no matter how many are reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one will read it and I am so excited for you! Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks! I now know that at least 3 people read this post today, and that group of people did not include my mom! I'd say that's a pretty good start. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will always listen to you talk about nothing and since we can't catch each other via telephone this is pretty cool too. Love you!
    Uhm.... what is this junk about having to select a profile?.....?????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm, not sure who you are "anonymous," but I'm guessing you're either Amanda or Steph. (From the tone, I would say Amamnda!) I don't know why it says that you have to select a profile. I'm still learning my way around this, and am already gearing up plans to move to Wordpress. Sorry if it's a pain. Pardon my ignorance!

    ReplyDelete