Thursday, April 8, 2010

Things my daughter taught me...

Anyone will tell you that having a child changes EVERYTHING!! When I was pregnant with my daughter, Adam and I talked frequently about everything that we wanted to teach her. Little did we know that she was formulating her own little list of things that she was going to teach us.

  • We've learned that spending a lot of money to give her an elaborate birthday party was more for us than for her. She could care less.
  • We've learned that presents are not nearly as much fun as the boxes that they come in.
  • We've learned that, with the right kind of motivation, trips to the grocery store can be done within 20 minutes. (Screaming, ripping up the grocery list, and tearing the stylus off of the credit card machine at checkout are all considered motivation for short trips.)
  • We've learned that we cannot force her to learn anything in our time. We plant the seeds and pray that they'll grow.
  • We've learned that our schedule means nothing to her. We are her parents all of the time, and she needs us to take her into account when making plans week to week.
  • We've learned that there is no limit to how much you can love someone that is selfish, beautiful, wonderful, loud, funny, obnoxious, and completely charming. I don't believe that either of us ever dreamed that we could have this kind of capacity for love.

Now that we're expecting another little "teacher" in September, we are talking about how we get to learn all of these things all over again. We also talk about what this is going to mean for our daughter, and some of the adjustments that she's going to have to make when she's no longer the only child in the house. Something tells me that class has only just begun.

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing isnt what they are able to teach us, always thought we were to teach them. I pray daily that when teaching her I can remember who she is becoming and not what the world tells us our child is to be.

    Faith told me the other day after I told her to be patient that I needed to learn also. I thought, well she is right, I guess I need to remember that when I am talking to her.

    Many forget to think on their level and not expect the toddler to be the independent adult. I am not innocent of this as well.

    Have you read, Power of a Praying Parent?

    Stephaney Ballard

    ReplyDelete